Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The food blog

I was going to dedicate this entire post to tacos.  In my humble opinion, there is no combination of food that is better than a taco.  I was googling images this afternoon for flashcards for a school project when an image of a taco in a sombrero came up in completely un-related search (I was looking for an image to describe 'hard' - get your mind out of the gutter, I mean 'hard' like "Papa bear's chair was too 'hard'") when this taco came up.  I haven't stopped thinking about tacos since.  It's a tasty looking taco!  In a sombrero!!  How many tacos wear sombreros I ask you?

Don't you just want to eat that taco?  I know I do!!


Anyways, that got me thinking about food.  A lot.  I'm a foodie for sure, and I've got the belly to prove it.  Walking through the markets in Chiang Mai, there is street food everywhere you turn.  If you want good, cheap food, come to Thailand!!  You can get an amazing meal for $1 - $2 if you eat Thai street food.  Spend $5 and you can get some amazing farang (white people) food in the bars and restaurants around town.


Along with the delicious street food you can find, there is also an admirable selection of bugs to paint your palate.  HOWEVER, I have never bore witness to a single Thai person ordering up a mixed baggie of maggots and crispy fried crickets to enjoy.  I think selling edible bugs at a market is all a ploy to see how many stupid foreigners take the bait.  Foreigners wanting to 'experience' the Thai way of life, bravely ordering those crispy fried crickets and cockroaches, tentively taking that first craaaaaazy bite, then proclaiming that they "taste just like chicken!".  I'm sure the Thai's freakin love it...they just sit back and watch the idiots eat bugs and secretly have a laugh and share a chuckle with one another while enjoying some chicken fried rice. 


Well Thai's, I'm on to you...I'm not taking the bait!  I'll stick to your delicious, bug-free curries, soups and noodles.

3 comments:

  1. Funny! I never thought about the bugs that way! I'll send you some tacos and a pizza, you send me some Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send you some Thai food but you don't need to send me anything...except cheese (cheese is like gold here!). As opposed to living in England, international food here is amazingly delicious! I know the places to find great burgers, tacos, pizza, chimichangas...it's a little more expensive than Thai street food, but worth it :)

    ReplyDelete