Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Be free and transport yourself

I've been going crazy on iTunes these past two glorious days!  (My iTunes giftcard from my ma finally arrived after I was settled on the fear that it had been swiped by the Thai post office).  I've since purchased two very long awaited albums to add to my collection: Ben Gibbard's first solo album from Death Cab For Cutie - Former Lives, and FUN.'s ever so popular album - Some Nights.  I've been listening to many songs from both of these albums on youtube over and over again since they've come out.  I've also been adding to my repertoire of Classic Rock tunes - making the list thus far: Dire Straits, Jackson Browne, Cornelius Bros., and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I suppose my Stevie Ray Vaughan acquisitions are what have encouraged me to write this blog. 

Do you ever hear a song and are completely transported somewhere?  This happens to me ALL the time...mayhaps this is why I love music over everything in this world.  It's another form of travel for me.

Today, I went from Chiang Mai, Thailand to Red Rocks, Colorado.  Red Rocks Amphitheatre is THE GREATEST concert venue in the world.  Don't even try arguing against me.  If you're from Colorado, you know.  If you've never been to gig at The Rocks, you should make it a point to be there at least once in your life.

When I listen to Stevie Ray, I'm transported to a world I love.  I can hear those sweet guitar riffs reverberating off the beautiful red rocks that make up the Amphitheatre.  I can feel it coursing through my soul.  I can't concentrate on anything but the music and the peace and the beauty of the place.  I sip on an ice cold beer and stare out across the stage to see the beautiful Denver skyline.  I feel the cool breeze chill my skin, so I zip up my favourite hoodie and just completely immerse myself in feeling the music and the atmosphere.  I breathe in the fresh Rocky Mountain airI'm lost.  I'm lost in a world that's far more glorious than the physical one my body resides in. 

When I'm at Red Rocks, life doesn't matter for those 3 blissful hours.  All that matters is the music.  When I hear a song that takes me to Red Rocks, life doesn't matter for those 3-5 minutes.  It's fucking great.  But then the songs ends and I'm forced back into reality.  I decide I don't like reality, so I hit 'repeat' and I'm off again. 

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of seeing Stevie Ray live, but his music is music that fits perfectly in the atmosphere of Red Rocks - rustic and raw, chilled out rock n' roll.

So I'll leave you there...I'm off to The Rocks for a few minutes to forget about life.

Turn it up.  Close your eyes.  Be transported.

No comments:

Post a Comment